- 1 e-Learning Resources for Semantics (e-LRS)
e-Learning Resources for Semantics (e-LRS)
|Duration:||October 2012 - May 2013|
|Source:||Förderfond Lehre of the Goethe University, Frankfurt/Main|
|Team:||Manfred Sailer (project leader)|
|Veronica Skottke (research assistent)|
|Suzanne Smith (research assistent)|
|Sabrina Weber (research assistent)|
|Partners:||Clemens Bohrer (Akademie für Bildungsforschung und Lehrerbildung, Frankfurt/Main)|
|Robert D. Levine (Ohio State University)|
|Frank Richter (University of Tübingen)|
Formal semantics is one of the central subdisciplines of modern linguistics. It allows an exact description and analysis of a wide range of linguistic phenomena. Such phenomena are not only important for linguistic theorizing but also for cross-linguistic comparisions and, eventually, for foreign language teaching. However, the content of formal semantics is very abstract and many students of philologies are easily scared away by this first impression. The use of New media in teaching semantics can help reduce this obstacle and make students interested in the field of semantics. In the project, we will develop e-learing material together with students and for students. The majority of this material will be made available on the current wiki and/or on the blog english-linguistics.de.
Modules of the project
e-LRS played an essential role in three courses held in the winter term 2012/13 at the Goethe Unversity Frankfurt.
Proseminar Introduction to Semantics
The basic chapters of the textbook Formal Semantics: An Empirically-grounded Approach were covered. Material for an interactive whiteboard was created for this course and some e-learning material was added.
Hauptseminar New Media in Teaching Semantics
The participants developped material that can be used for courses such as the Proseminar Introduction to Semantics. These included wiki pages, online exercises, and podcasts. Consult the wiki-page of this seminar for more details.
- 26 students received credits in the course
- 3 of which also used the course as part of the Medienkompetenzzertifikat (certificate of medial competence, issued by the Akademie für Bildungsforschung und Lehrerbildung.)
Oberseminar Syntax-Semantics Interface
The advanced chapters of the textbook Formal Semantics: An Empirically-grounded Approach were covered and critically discussed with and improved by suggestions from colleagues and advanced students.
This made it possible to carry out a class at the European Summer School in Logic, Language and Information 2013.
A final report will be uploaded here.
There will be a follow-up project, e-Learning Resources for Semantics 2 starting October 2013.
Activities and publications
- Manfred Sailer and Suzanne Smith (2013): e-Learning Resources for Semantics (eLRS). Blended-Learning-Szenario für die Semantiklehre. In Claudia Bremer and Detlef Krömker (eds.): E-Learing zwischen Vision und Alltag. Münster: Waxmann. 326-331.
- September 2-5, 2013: Manfred Sailer and Suzanne Smith: e-Learning Resources for Semantics (eLRS). Blended-Learning-Szenario für die Semantiklehre. Poster at GMW 13, the annual conference of the Gesellschaft fü Medien in der Wissenschaft, Frankfurt a.M.
Download the poster.
- May 7, 2013: Manfred Sailer: e-Learning Resources for Semantics. Presentation of the project at the internal e-Learning Network meeting of the Goethe University hosted by Fachbereich 10.